Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pee Wee's New Year

My favorite scene in the movie “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure” is the one where Pee Wee is sitting in the mouth of big dinosaur statue, somewhere along Route 66 with a woman he just met, talking about going after his dreams. The woman starts talking about her dreams then says, “but”. Pee Wee jumps in and says, “That’s the problem, everybody has a big but.” He goes on talking about her “but”, meanwhile her big dumb boyfriend is sneaking up on them and listens in on the middle of the conversation. He thinks Pee Wee is hitting on his girlfriend and Pee Wee has to take off on his bicycle again.

My wife and I always talk about New Year’s resolutions, although for many years I stuck to my New Year’s resolution to not make New Year’s resolutions. I finally broke it a few years ago. My wife annually commits to stop swearing. She has already broken it. I decided to go all out this year, I am going to end chronic hunger in the world, complete the Triathlon (the one in Hawaii), and run for Governor. Oh yeah and relearn Spanish. I started working on all of them right away, except the Governor, I figure I have some time for that one.

My wife knows Spanish a little better than me, okay a lot better, so we started translating road signs on the way home from New Year’s Eve dinner. I am already working on world hunger and expect that to wrap up pretty soon. I am doing yoga every day and just need to work on that 2 mile swim, otherwise I think I’m good to go for the triathlon. “But” you say? Well, at least I won’t be able to say that I have broken my New Year’s promises until much later this year, meanwhile, it gives me something to do when I get up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment